A bird that caught fire after being electrocuted at a substation is suspected of igniting a 2 acre wildfire Monday, officials said.
Fire personnel weren’t able to identify whether the bird was raven or a crow that flew into exposed elements hanging from a high crossbeam on poles.
There were no witnesses, so officials stopped short of saying the flaming bird was at fault.
The bird "got zapped when it hit one of those things they call a terminator," Pitkin County Deputy Joe Bauer said. "Then it fell, probably on fire, right at the base of one of these poles."
Fire crews were able to extinguish the blaze in about an hour.